Saturday, March 31, 2018

Context Bears Scrutiny



Ruth has engaged in a 100 day project to carve out space daily for art and creation. Towards that end, she has been working on a counted cross stitch project, using embroidery floss to create the image.
Her project is to be a gift for one of the twins, currently at 30+ weeks in her niece Kelley’s belly. Ruth was working away, Day #8, and asked me to photograph her project.





I laughed while taking the picture, and she wanted to know about that.

“What so funny?”
“Oh, it’s just the Grateful Dead image as a baby present.”
“Grateful ..., what?”
I wordlessly reached over her shoulder, typed Grateful Dead into the Google search box, and clicked on images. Then I pointed.





 

Lively discussion ensued, wondering whether there was someone who used to make Grateful Dead merch, who is now trying to keep a revenue stream going.
My advice for Ruth is to remember that she still has to consider the gift for the other twin. I think she needs to be consistent.







 

No comments:

Saturday 10 October 2020

 Doomscrolling over my first cup of coffee. Portland, Oregon Our President says that Portland has been ablaze with anarchy for decades. Let’...